Followers

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Someone is always watching...

So I'm taking a culture class this semester and my professor wanted us to create something to let the class get know us, so... I decided to create a poem and she loved it so much that she wanted an electronic copy. I was tickled to death (not to mention that this professor is very intrigued about "Mormons").
Where I’m From –Rochelle Russell
I am from wide open spaces, from the Teton Mountains and Craters of the Moon, canned green beans and homemade bread.
I am from a home that my father built himself, brick by brick, with a basement and a large inside porch, and mom was always singing a tune in the kitchen.
I am from the cold northern climates, gorgeous seasons, endless potato and wheat fields.
I am from Peterson, Rasmussen, French, and Belnap bloodlines. Stubborn, musical, athletic, and hard working from my mother Marlene, my father Don, my seven siblings Rocky, Jolene, Tammy, Trena, Bryce, Kent, Shamae and my husband Jason, my children Brock, Drake, Madison and 43 nieces and nephews and one great niece.
I am from the laid back, spontaneous, and dry sense of humor.
From “whatever you put your mind to you can do it” and “set your standards high and never lower them.”
I am from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am from the “Ricks College” days and walked on the volleyball team in 1992.
I am from Idaho, Denmark, and England eating meat and potatoes (Idaho’s special).
From the grandfather who was a sailor who joined the church and married a Scot to traveling to Salt Lake City, the great grandmother who sewed her own wedding dress with leftover silk from her father’s silk factory, and the grandmother who was always playing and singing for others in church services, funerals, and weddings.
I am from a small town with farming fields, green grass, pine and oak trees, a large garden to snack on, and climbing apple trees. I am from a large stock of loyal, faithful, and loving family members.

6 comments:

thehogans5 said...

That was beautiful. What talent you have!!!

Ashley said...

Rochelle! I love this poem! It's beautiful and it's a great story of who you are and where you came from! I'm in it - I'm one of the 43 neices and nephews! Woo Hoo!!! Love ya! Ashley

Rochelle said...

Awesome! Well written fellow Idahoan! :)

Jill said...

Quite talented! Not that I didn't already know that from working with you in YW. I'm impressed. PS-Is Jason getting skinnier? He looked skinny while conducting today.
Oh, and you forgot to include-from a neighborhood with the coolest neighbors ever...

Jay and Rochelle said...

You are the first to notice outside of me, that Jay has lost weight! YES, both he and I are cutting back on the junk food and exercising. He has lost 10 and I have lost 8.

Rochelle said...

So, to post a video you take a SHORT one on your camera...download it to you files on your computer. Then in blogger "new post" you click on the video icon. It takes a while for blogger to publish it...but its well worth it.My camcorder doesn't work with blogger...its all from my little digital Cannon powershot. hope this helps.