Just before fall break we had some crazy events taking place in our community. The Bishop came over after general conference to speak to ME! After the chit chat he said well I'm here for your mom because we already know that your dad has a calling (ward clerk)... so he extended the calling by first saying first counselor in the R.S. I gave a face like yuck, then he said wait, that sounds wrong it's first counselor in young womens. I said, "That sounds so much better, I accept." So I'm with the MiaMaids and yes it's a busy calling but I do enjoy working with the youth. I'm looking forward to it.
While we had our first presidency meeting on Wednesday night we were discussing names for advisors and called the bishop to submit the names... Before then Jay called me but didn't give me any news, he sounded really down. So our young women president found out the terrible news that one of our teenage youth boys had gotten into a car accident by falling out of the pick up truck. He was goofing off by jumping up and down and when the driver told him to stop jumping the driver slowed down to pull over and that is when the young man fell out of the truck and did a face plant. He was rushed at the West Valley hosiptal and Jay went with the Bishop to administer to him. They had to wait in the lobby until the doctor came in and they met the mother. When the doctor came in and made them all sit down he said, "Your son is dead". Jay said that is the worst experience he has ever been through. The mourning was so thick in the air and so great. The community has pulled together by creating fund raisers to help bury the boy. People from the Verrado ward and Waddell ward have been very generous by giving money and bringing in meals to the family.
On top of that I survived my first parent teacher conferences. The next day after hearing the news I taught, and life went on. Oh, I shed a few tears that morning and tried not to tell anyone at work about the news. Last year was hit and miss with confernce, so this one was real. We had parents clear up until 8:00pm. We hurried the conferences and headed home. The following day we had parents clear until 4:00pm. So us teachers are welcoming the fall break just like the kids.
The young teenager was a football player on the Varsity team. In honor they played the game for him. It was very touching and they chanted his name. The boys knew him and are handling it all right. They weren't very close but would hang out with him when he came to mutual events. I feel for his mother and for the driver as well as his parents. I hope he doesn't blame himselft.
Exploring Pocatello
10 years ago
2 comments:
I'm so jealous you get to be first counselor!! I just got released from that calling and I'm so sad!!
Who was it that was killed? Anyone I might know?
How heartbreaking for that family. That's awful.
Your calling, on the other hand, is terrific. Congratulations! I'm with the YW, too, and I love it!
Post a Comment